One of the themes that has been running through conversations I have been having is worthiness.
Maybe it is because I have been learning to realise my value as a human being and not having to strive, prove or earn my own worth. Or maybe it is because that it what these conversations required – some awareness around worthiness. Subsequently, I am going to share a little more around this topic of worthiness.
In this post, I will discuss –
- What is Worthiness?
- A Lack of Worthiness…
- 5 Quotes on Worthiness
- Remember Worthiness Has No Prerequisites – We Are Worthy NOW…
Let’s get started…
What is Worthiness?
Ok it is probably quite self-explanatory, however here are a few definitions –
A Lack of Worthiness…
Some of the definitions of unworthy include –
- “lacking in excellence or value” or “not deserved” ~ Merriam-Webster
- “not deserving respect or attention.” ~ Google and Oxford Dictionary
- “not deserving respect, admiration, or support” ~ Cambridge Dictionary
- “If a person or thing is unworthy of something good, they do not deserve it.” ~ Collins Dictionary
If you have every questioned your worthiness, you will be familiar with the following sayings –
- Who am I to …
- Maybe when I …. then I can … or then I will be ready, valuable, deserving or worthy of …
- I am JUST a ….
- How could I possibly do …
A lack of worthiness looks like someone who is holding back, someone who is staying small, procrastinating, trying to perfect, play it safe, or someone who is paralysed by doubt or fear.
A lack of worthiness feels like shame, guilt, worry, fear, disappointment or that sense of disconnectedness.
5 Quotes on Worthiness
Following are 5 inspiring quotes on worthiness –
- “When you get to a place where you understand that love and belonging, your worthiness, is a birthright and not something you have to earn, anything is possible.” ~ Brené Brown
- “Self-worth is an understanding on the intellectual level, trusting at the heart level, and accepting at the soul level that you are worthy just because you believe that you are. Your worthiness is proven by your existence. Your breathing. The beating of your heart. Your mere presence is all that is needed to establish your worth.” ~ Iyanla Vanzant
- “Your problem is you’re too busy holding onto your unworthiness.” ~ Ram Dass
- “Over the years, I’ve interviewed thousands of people, most of them women, and I would say that the root of every dysfunction I’ve ever encountered, every problem, has been some sense of a lacking of self-value or of self-worth.” ~ Oprah Winfrey
- “We must honour our worthiness in order to receive what we want. In our society we are conditioned to believe that we are not worthy, and that it is even selfish to want to be able to attract things into our lives.” ~ Wayne Dyer.
Do you have any other quotes that you like? If so, feel free to share them below!
Remember Worthiness Has No Prerequisites…
Without realising it, so many of us have allowed, created or been handed down a long list of worthiness “prerequisites.” For example –
I’ll be worthy when I get married.
I’ll be worthy when I finish my degree.
I’ll be worthy when I win a tournament.
I’ll be worthy when I can do the splits in yoga.
I’ll be worthy when I have 1000 Facebook likes or friends.
I’ll be worthy when I can make a living with my business.
I’ll be worthy when I write a book.
I’ll be worthy when I lose 5kgs.
I’ll be worthy when I can do it all and then some…
etc. etc. etc….
However, as Dr Brené Brown says – “There are no prerequisites for worthiness.” You are worthy NOW! You do not have to prove anything to anyone or earn the right to breathe (yes I did believe that).
If you have any questions or comments, please leave them in the comments below.
If you are ready to reclaim your courage and be happy by connecting with your heart, why not join our Toolkit?